Natural Sleep Remedies
A little help from Mother Nature
Sometimes falling asleep proves to be a little challenging. We’ve all been there, tossing and turning while we watch the minutes tick slowly as morning approaches. It’s frustrating – not to mention exhausting. But if you’re struggling to fall (or stay) asleep on a regular basis, it might be time for a more serious approach.
There are many things you can try to help aid you in your quest for sleep. A prescription from a certified sleep doctor can be an effective solution to both long and short term insomnia and is considered safer than an unregulated herbal remedy. But maybe you’d rather not reach for a pill to help solve your sleep challenges.
Sleep is the third pillar of a healthy lifestyle and paying balanced attention to all three pillars – sleep, diet, exercise – might be the key to sleeping better. Next time you’re tossing and turning, we recommend looking closer at these easy fixes.
6 natural sleep remedies
- Yoga – Stretching your muscles while listening to soft music naturally calms your mind while releasing body tension. A relaxing way to prepare for sleep. There are several easy-to-do poses that can help you fall asleep more easily.
- Aromatherapy – The power of scent is amazing. Sooth your senses and let your mind wander away from stress using calming scents such as vanilla or lavender.
- Warm bath – Slip into a tub filled with warm (not scalding) water and your favorite scent and your muscles will have no choice but to loosen and relax. Your very own sleep spa.
- Herbal tea – Chamomile and lemon balm teas have long been thought to help calm the mind and have been used for centuries to cure headaches and anxiety. Read more at EverydayRoots.com
- Cut the caffeine – We all love our morning cup of java but watch your caffeine intake after noon. Consuming significant amounts of caffeine later in the day may be the reason you’re having a hard time falling asleep.
- Break a sweat – Studies show that active people consistently sleep better than those who do not work out. Read more at HuffingtonPost.com
It goes without saying that getting enough sleep is important for your health. Natural sleep remedies such as these can help you get the ZZZs you need to be productive and healthy.