Mattress shopping tips that will help you sleep better
The hardest part of buying a new mattress is finding one that’s perfect for you (and your partner if you share a bed). While mattress manufacturers tout the features and benefits of latex versus inner spring versus gel-infused memory foam, how do you know what will actually help you sleep better? After all, it’s a big purchase and if you make a mistake, your sleep and health are at risk – for years.
While there’s no scientific way to be 100% certain which is the best mattress for you, it’s not a guessing game either. Finding the right mattress for you takes time. If you follow the simple steps outlined below, you’ll be rewarded with the best sleep of your life.
Worth it, right?
How to choose your perfect mattress
Follow our 12 step mattress buying guide and make an educated choice when you’re ready to go shopping.
1. Recognize your current mattress is no longer delivering a healthy night’s sleep. If you sleep better in hotels than at home, if you wake up tired and achy more than once a week or if your mattress looks lumpy or sags, it’s time to go mattress shopping.
2. Choose your mattress size. If you share a bed with a partner or if you’re taller than average, you’ve probably experienced at least one night struggling to get comfortable. Size matters – for the people in the bed and the room you put the bed in. Not every bedroom can fit a king size mattress. Read through our mattress size chart and then break out the tape measure.
3. Talk to your doctor. If you have a health condition that affects your sleep, start with your doctor. While your doctor may not be able to talk to you about the components of your mattress, you might learn something about temperature control or the need for extra cushioning for your joints or back. Remember, a firm mattress is not necessarily a supportive mattress.
4. Research online. Visit manufacturer websites and read lots and lots of reviews. Load up on as much information online before heading to a store – but be wary. Not everything you read online is true and some of it can be downright confusing. Check out our guide to understanding and using mattress reviews to make a better buying decision.
5. Set your budget. Just like buying a new car, mattress prices range wildly. You might have Cadillac tastes but a Honda budget – and there’s a lot of nice Honda’s at lower prices. Decide how much you want to spend and focus your research on that price category. You’ll be amazed at the comfort options within each budget.
6. Go shopping! We believe buying a mattress should take longer than it takes to order a pizza. You might suffer indigestion one night if you order the wrong pizza but a wrong-for-you mattress has a bigger impact on your life. There’s no better way to shop for a mattress than to go to a store.
7. Test drive a lot of mattresses. When you buy a new smart phone, you hold it in your hand, push buttons, check out the apps – and you do that for a lot of phones before you choose the one that feels right to you. Buying a mattress is no different. Understanding the difference between mattresses means lying on each one in different positions.
8. Slow down. Your body needs time to feel each mattress and compare it to the one you’re currently sleeping on. Experts suggest eliminating the ones that don’t feel good and spending at least 15 minutes on the mattresses that do. Chat with your partner while you’re lying down and focus on areas that give you discomfort at home.
9. Talk about the components of the mattress. Some people prefer a plush, pillow-top with a supportive inner-spring core while others enjoy the suppleness of latex. As you lie on each mattress, ask questions about what’s inside the mattress and how those components change the feel. This step keeps you on the mattress longer, which will help you begin to understand what your body responds to better.
10. Visit multiple retailers. Department stores may advertise more sales but they can be crowded and it can be tricky to find a qualified sales person to answer your question. You might find a more attentive sales person at a furniture store and you might be surprised at their price competitiveness too. If you’re ready to shop, find an authorized Restonic Retailer near you.
11. Talk about the warranty. Understand what the retailer and manufacturer warrants in the mattress. Workmanship and materials should be guaranteed but comfort is a personal perspective and often not covered. Read the fine print on your warranty so there are no surprises if something goes wrong.
12. Protect your purchase. Stains on a mattress void the warranty – with every manufacturer. A tipped cup of coffee or glass of wine and there’s no going back. Invest in a waterproof mattress protector when you buy your mattress – for hygiene and to protect your warranty. You’ll be glad you did.
Rest well & wake up ready to go!
Better sleep gives rise to better mornings, bringing your goals into focus and dreams within reach. Hungry for more sleep info? Dig into these posts:
- Everything you need to know about mattress sizes
- California King mattress – the choice of celebrities, athletes and maybe you?
- Too hot? Too cold? Understanding how temperature impacts the quality of your sleep
Eager for more sleep info you can really use?
Join our communities on Facebook and Twitter and let's continue the conversation.
We'd love to hear what you have to say!
This blog does not provide medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on Restonic.com. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.