Congratulations on the purchase of your new bed! But, now what…
Purchasing a new mattress can take a lot of time and energy – especially if you’re committed to finding the one that’s right for you. Size, firmness, plushness, latex or memory foam or springs – so many things to consider. And once you finally find that perfect mattress – and get it home – what next?
We know you’d like to climb into bed as soon as the mattress hits the box spring and the bed is made – but hold off for a minute. There are few details to attend to before the dreaming begins. After all, you want your new mattress to last as long as possible – and so do we!
6 simple steps to protecting your new mattress
1. Proper installation of your mattress. You may not be Bob the Builder, so calling the pros to assist setting up your new mattress might be a good idea. Making sure your mattress and foundation are properly installed is crucial to your comfort and safety and possibly your warranty, if issues should arise later. Don’t be afraid to ask your local retailer questions for setup and read your mattress warranty to make sure approved guidelines are followed.
2. Let your new mattress breathe. Like any new product, a new mattress might have a residual odor from the manufacturing or packaging process – don’t worry it’s normal. To help get rid of the new scent, remove packaging and let the mattress air-out before covering it up with a mattress protector and linens. Weather depending, open up the windows and bring in fresh air to help speed the process.
3. Use a mattress protector. Mattress covers are designed to fully cover a mattress and protect it from daily wear and tear. They can also help maintain a consistent temperature in the microclimate of the bed, reducing tossing and turning. Some can even improve the comfort-level of your new mattress. Remember, protecting your mattress means protecting your warranty.
4. Don’t remove the mattress law tag. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not illegal to remove the mattress tag – but it’s a good idea to leave them on. Law-tags and other sewn-on labels provide vital information and serve as identification should you need to ever file a warranty claim. Removing the tags could void your warranty coverage – especially if you lose them. Make sure to consult your manufacturer’s warranty guidelines before removing anything on your mattress.
5. A bed is not a trampoline. No more monkeys jumping on the bed! Might be difficult to resist the temptation – but would you jump on your new TV? You just spent a small fortune on a beautiful mattress and you definitely want to treat your investment like anything else in your home – with care. Jumping on your bed can affect the internal components inside the bed. If the springs or other construction materials are affected, your warranty could be in jeopardy.
6. A few don’t’s to help protect your new mattress investment
- Don’t allow your mattress to become soiled or stained – a mattress protector is a must.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or dry-cleaning fluids to wash your mattress. Use this guide to vacuum and spot clean your mattress.
- Don’t forget about the mattress foundation.
One last thought before you go to bed – your mattress warranty
Your new mattress is installed, fresh and protected. Before you jump between the covers, let’s chat about the warranty. Understand what the retailer and manufacturer warrants in the mattress – and what
Is considered normal wear and tear of the product. Workmanship and materials should be guaranteed but comfort is a personal perspective and not warranted. Pull out the magnifying glass and read the fine print so there are no surprises if something goes wrong.
If you’re ready for a new mattress, we’d love to help find the right one for you. Visit our Find a Retailer Page and we’ll locate a store close to you and connect you with a trained sales professional. After purchasing your new mattress, don’t forget to give it extra care and love so it can deliver a good night’s sleep to you for many years.
Rest well & wake up ready to go!
Better sleep gives rise to better mornings, bringing your goals into focus and dreams within reach. Hungry for more sleep info? Dig into these posts:
- Can aromatherapy help you sleep better?
- How temperature affects the quality of your sleep
- The ultimate guide to what’s inside your mattress