Take back the night – and your youth – with these fixer-up beauty tips!
We’re all getting older. It’s inevitable. There’s nothing we can do about it, short of stopping time. Which is impossible. And while creaky joints and minor aches and pains are annoying, what really cranks our I’m-not-gonna-take-it-anymore engine is waking up looking – and feeling – like we’ve aged 10 years overnight.
We’re not talking about the normal signs of aging, which we’re determined to embrace come hell or high water, by the way. Nope, this is that haggard, tired-dried-out-old-looking-blaaaah that seems to pop up random nights and stare us down in the mirror before our first coffee. Yikes!
What did we do to deserve THAT?
But there’s good news! This kind of old is something we turn around – overnight in fact.
Follow these 4 steps before bed tonight and you’ll wake up looking – and feeling – younger!
1. Hey Bright Eyes – They say the eyes are the window to your soul. Sadly, they can also be an expression of your age. Fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, and dryness can all drag you down, giving your age away, even making you look older. Ugh.
Insta Fix – Moisturizer is the key to brighter, younger-looking eyes and waking up looking beautifully rested. In the morning, use a hydrating eye cream that contains vitamin E (for healing) and hyaluronic acid or ceramides (for ultimate moisture). Keep a cooling roll-on eye gel in your handbag and apply during the day when your eyes feel tired or dry. For instant de-puffing, apply a 10-minute cooling and hydrating eye mask.
2. Get All the ZZZs – The old wives’ tale is true. We DO need our beauty sleep. Nothing that makes you look older fast than not getting enough sleep. We’re talking bags, dull skin and a dragging lack of energy. Studies show we need between 7-8 hours of sleep per night so that we’re ready to attack our days with gusto.
Insta Fix – Set yourself up for a great night’s sleep and waking up refreshed by nixing caffeine by 2 pm and winding down with a bath or a book and soft lighting an hour before bed. Oh, and when you pour your bath, untether yourself from your tablet and phone – the light those devices emit stimulates your brain. And finally, make sure you’ve got the right pillows and mattress for your sleep style.
3. Makeup Magic – When all else fails, fake it till you make it. Cosmetics (and proper skincare) can be a great way to brighten your skin, peeling back time – almost instantly. As long as you’re using the right types of products, of course.
Insta Fix – According to Toronto Makeup artist, Sky Shapiro, an instant fix for dull, old-looking skin is to add a drop of beauty oil to your foundation. Not only does oil thin it out, ensuring it’s not too thick or cakey (which can accentuate fine lines), but it delivers a youthful, dewy glow. She also recommends using an eye cream or under-eye concealer with brightening properties to make your peepers sparkle.
4. Fill ‘er Up – Picture a grape. Now picture a raisin. That’s the difference between being properly hydrated and not so much. Our bodies are more than 55% water, and our cells use that water to keep everything inside – and outrunning smoothly. Which means it has to be replenished. And if it isn’t? Well… we turn into a raisin. Not really, but you know what we mean….
Insta Fix – You’ve heard it before, but we’ll say it again: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. From the inside out. This means sipping water all day – or eating water-containing foods. And, of course, adding moisture to your skin with a good quality serum and moisturizer. The bonus? Being well-hydrated will give you more energy too!
Ready to take back the night and enjoy your former youthful glow? Us too! Share your tips below and let’s all enjoy some aging backward tonight!
And if you need a few more tips on getting better sleep, get click happy with these posts:
- Lavender & better sleep
- 10 breakfast recipes under 400 calories
- How to trick yourself into becoming a morning person