Take back the night – and your youth – with these fixer-up beauty tips!
We’re all getting older. It’s inevitable. There’s nothing we can do about it, short of stopping time. Which is impossible. And while creaky joints and minor aches and pains are annoying, what really cranks our I’m-not-gonna-take-it-anymore engine is waking up looking – and feeling – like we’ve aged 10 years overnight.
We’re not talking about the normal signs of aging, which we’re determined to embrace come hell or high water, by the way.
Nope, this is that haggard, tired-dried-out-old-looking-blaaaah that seems to pop up random nights and stare us down in the mirror before our first coffee. Yikes! What did we do to deserve THAT? The good news is that this kind of old is something we can turn around – overnight in fact.
Follow these 4 steps before bed tonight and you’ll wake up looking – and feeling – younger!
1. Hey bright eyes. They say the eyes are the window to your soul. Sadly, they can also be an expression of your age. Fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, and dryness can all drag you down, giving your age away, even making you look older. Ugh.
Insta fix. Moisturizer is the key to brighter, younger-looking eyes and waking up looking beautifully rested. In the morning, use a hydrating eye cream that contains vitamin E (for healing) and hyaluronic acid or ceramides (for ultimate moisture). Keep a cooling roll-on eye gel in your handbag and apply during the day when your eyes feel tired or dry. For instant de-puffing, apply a 10-minute cooling and hydrating eye mask.
2. Get All the ZZZ’s. The old wives’ tale is true. We DO need our beauty sleep. Nothing that makes you look older faster than not getting enough sleep. We’re talking bags, dull skin and a dragging lack of energy. Studies show we need between 7-8 hours of sleep per night so that we’re ready to attack our days with gusto.
Insta fix. Set yourself up for a great night’s sleep and waking up refreshed by nixing caffeine by 2 pm. An hour or so before you plan to sleep, wind down with a bath or a book and muted lighting. Oh, and when you pour your bath, untether yourself from your tablet and phone – the light those devices emit stimulates your brain. And finally, make sure you’ve got the right pillows and mattress for your sleep style.
3. Makeup magic. When all else fails, fake it till you make it. Cosmetics (and proper skin care) can be a great way to brighten your skin, peeling back time – almost instantly. As long as you’re using the right types of products, of course.
Insta fix. According to make-up artists, an instant fix for dull, tired-looking skin is to add a drop of beauty oil to your foundation. Not only does oil thin it out, ensuring it’s not too thick or cakey (which can accentuate fine lines), but it delivers a youthful, dewy glow. Remember to also use an eye cream or under-eye concealer with brightening properties to make your peepers sparkle.
4. Fill ‘er up. Picture a grape. Now picture a raisin. That’s the difference between being properly hydrated and not so much. Our bodies are more than 55% water, and our cells use that water to keep everything inside – and out – running smoothly. Which means it has to be replenished. And if it isn’t? Well… we turn into a raisin. Not really, but you know what we mean….
Insta fix. You’ve heard it before, but we’ll say it again: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. From the inside out. This means sipping water all day – or eating water containing foods. And, of course, adding moisture to your skin with a good quality serum and moisturizer. The bonus? Being well-hydrated will give you more energy too!
Rest well & wake up ready to go!
Better sleep gives rise to better mornings, bringing your goals into focus and dreams within reach. Hungry for more sleep info? Dig into these posts:
- Sleeping with science
- What you need to know before hiring a sleep coach
- Time for a night divorce? Why some couples are opting to sleep in separate beds